Friday, April 8, 2011

1st birthday!


Warren's official birthday was on the 30th, but we decided to hold off on any celebrations until that Sunday. We didn't want to overwhelm him with a lot of people, so we only invited family. Then it turned out that half of the family was sick and couldn't make it. Oh well... Barry's parents came and my brother and his family came. It ended up being just the perfect amount.

There is a Korean tradition on first birthdays that we wanted to do. You lay out a bunch of different objects in front of the baby, and let him decided which one to grab. Each of the objects symbolizes a different kind of future (career path) for the baby. I'm sure the actual Korean tradition is a little different than what we did, but it was still fun. We had a block (builder), ball (athlete), cell phone (technological career), a pig (farmer), book (teacher), and a pencil (artist). He grabbed the block on his way to the cell phone...so i guess he will be well rounded.

After we opened presents we let him dig into his cake. I really wanted to make a bear shaped cake, since we always call him "Ware Bear". Then i saw a panda bear cake pattern online. I was super excited to try it out. It took two different cake mixes. I ruined the 2nd cake trying to get it out of the pan...it split in half. But I was so determined to make this cake, so i ran to the store to get another one. Anyways to make a long story short I doubt I will ever make another extravagant cake again. It was around midnight when i realized this panda bear cake was not the best idea.

My mom is up this week, so we were lucky enough to squeeze in a little photo shoot. The pictures turned out so cute!!!


Don't you just love those chunky thighs!!!


I can't believe my baby is already 1. It definitely went by fast!!
Some things about Warren:
  • He still loves sucking his thumb! You can tell when he gets nervous or out of his element because that thumb will go straight into his mouth.
  • He has 4 teeth (2 more on the way)
  • He loves the bath
  • Hates having his diaper changed...it's almost impossible these days to get him to stay still while you change him!
  • He loves being naked
  • He has the cutest laugh and smile
  • Loves to eat...he won't let you eat anything without sharing a bite with him (weighs in at 23 lbs). Sometimes it's scary how much he will shove in his mouth at once, so we have to carefully monitor how much we give him at one time.
  • Loves music and will do a cute little bum dance when he's really feelin' the music!
  • He will crawl and cruise around, but will NOT walk. He has even learned how to squat down without grabbing onto anything to avoid walking/falling.
  • He's very stubborn
  • He will just sit and jibber jabber, and I love it. Although the only words we can semi-comprehend is mama and dada.
  • He loves soft blankets. Whenever he finds a blanket on the floor he will cuddle up to it, and his thumb will go in his mouth.
  • He claps, will do high fives, and on a good day he will wave.
  • He can use a spoon but would much rather put it on the table and scoop off the food with his fingers.
  • He's not a fan of cold milk which is a total bummer. Hopefully he will learn fast to get use to it.
  • He is now learning to master the cup!
I could go on and on, but I'm sure that is plenty!
We have been so blessed to have him in our lives.

6 comments:

  1. Sam! This was such a fun post :) I can't believe Warren is already a year old. Time went by so fast! He is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a CUTIE!!! And, yes! I love those thighs! I love all the pictures. (So lucky your mom is a photographer!) It is amazing your little son is already ONE YEAR OLD!!!! And I've never seen him! :( I'm glad you are enjoying being Warren's mom! He's a lucky little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, he is truly adorable! He looks like such a sweetheart. Crazy how fast time goes, huh? Super cute pictures! And good job on the bear cake, I know how frustrating something like that can be, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute post Sam! Warren is getting so big! We need to get together again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO PRECIOUS! And you did such a good job with the cake--you should do something similar when he turns two! Glad to hear he has two great potential futures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to get all 3 Warrens pictured together. LOL

    ReplyDelete